Sunday, September 12, 2010

Little Punk

The weekend is finally HERE. But of course it couldn't come graciously with the completion of week #2 classes. A little story for you all- thought you might like an insight to my job over here.
Hyeon Wook, one of my brightest students, wins the "First Kid to Test Ms. Sydney's Student Management Skills" Award. While Hyeon Wook (pronounced Hy-oon Ook) is cute and intelligent with his accent (I think he lived in London for some time), his attitude is a bit too 'uppity' for the 5th grader that he is. The other students seem to agree -- during their Critical Thinking Project, they could not get Hyeon Wook to cooperate. Try as they might to compromise with his ideas for the presentation, he wouldn't give in until they did what HE wanted. Points deducted from his participation grade & 2 warnings to work together with his classmates were clearly not enough to get him out of his "My WAY or the HIGHWAY" state of mind. 
All of a sudden, as I'm working with the other group on some brainstorming, Hyeon Wook FREAKS OUT on his group members and starts crying. 
............................
I'm thinking...What do kids feel like when they cry in class?..shit I gotta get him out of here.
So I ask him to follow me to the front desk, tell the Korean staff that he was having issues with his classmates, and go back to the rest of my students. He talked to them for a while, and when he came back to the classroom he SLAMMED the door during his group's presentation, followed by a loud and disturbing SCREECH across the floor with his chair. 

Needless to say, the rest of the class was a bit disrupted and their CTP experience was hampered. But his parentals will be getting an email or a call from his staff advisor, so hopefully next week all will be fine..

No comments:

Post a Comment