Sunday, August 22, 2010

SOUTH KOREA

So. It's been a hot minute.

After Spain/Europe, this blog went stagnant (and it was never really too active anyway with how bootleg my wifi connection was).  I didn't think I'd post to it ever again, because what would really be the point..
However, the minute my flight home from that fateful semester landed at O'Hare, I knew I had to get back overseas --- somewhere, somehow, and at some point in the near future. Well, I had no idea just how near that point would be - and now, here I am in Seoul, South Korea. Exactly 1 year, 3 months, and 6 days later.

How did I get here? ...I took a plane.

Jk.

In February, I decided to listen to the message flashing in BOLD across the forefront of my mind that said: DON'T BE A REPORTER.  JUST GO.
So then started my search for jobs overseas. Of course I wanted to use my broadcast media degree, but why not on another continent? Well.. that was a bit of a short-lived search, but in looking around all 4 corners of the internet, I did stumble across my first step: Teaching ESL abroad.
Most European countries required the TEFL Certification, and didn't pay their instructors very well (just as any broadcast job would pay me unlivable salaries, so would my love, Spain.) So I moved on to other countries, and in came the raving reviews about teaching ESL in South Korea. I knew a few people that were there while I was in Spain, and once I heard back all of the amaaaazing things they had to say (highest paid ESL teachers in the world, awesome city, no certification needed, etc) - I was sold.

Then came the application process: I searched around and chose to apply through Aclipse, a highly acclaimed recruiting agency for English instructors. The company they recruit for in South Korea is called Chungdahm Learning.
Standard resume/cover letter, then phone interview, then video resume, pictures, essay, & tons of paperwork = HIRED. Then background check, diploma, contract signing, waiting for city/area placement, visa process... so much more paperwork... yadayadayada.

Literally the day before I picked up my visa from the consulate in Chicago was the day my flight was booked. One way ticket to Seoul, direct. Friday, August 20th, at 12:35pm I left the U.S. to start this next 'step' towards my ultimate goal and purpose in the world.
And I'll let you know what that is when it happens.
:)


Welcome back to Slangfordisms - hopefully this time around my internet access will be top notch and I can post A LOT MORE. South Korea has been amazing since the moment my plane broke through the clouds and I could clearly see that I was on the other side of the planet - and I think it'll keep getting better!

Much love,
Syd

No comments:

Post a Comment