Monday, October 4, 2010

Korean Hospital Experience

Woke up this morning feeling great. I slept enough Saturday and Sunday to heal myself of my typical sinus infection at each turn of the season. I blew my nose and it was clear! (TMI?) Who knew sleep was so brilliant.

But then I walked to the bathroom. And was DAF. Dizzy. As. F*ck.

This unnatural dizziness confused me and I thought maybe there was some sinus infection backlash in my ears, causing crazy imbalance. But after having toast and some tea, I was still spinning like crazy.

I tried to get out of bed again to get ready for work, and the next moment was one where I wish I could have hidden cameras taping hilarious shit in my life all the time. I stumbled to the bathroom, looking utterly WASTED, gripping every surface on the way there so as to not fall over. At this point I was seriously out of a movie. 

Three inches from the bathroom, I got my footing ready for a small step down while simultaneously turning the light on. Apparently this was too much for my drunk mentality to handle. The second I swung myself around the doorframe, I fainted flat on my side, almost smacking my head on the door and definitely experiencing some blackout in there somewhere.

I knelt by the porcelain bowl, surely feeling intense nausea waves and spins the size of the Ring of Fire (yes the carny ride).

After this episode, I was freakin' out hardcore, so I went down the hall to Alex's room to have him call our boss. Thank GOD I have friends nearby. The boss said to go to the hospital ("But I don't have health insurance") and that someone could cover my class ("But I need the hours!") waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.


So all the while, I'm talking to my new Korean friend James online. He's like, Ok, I'll come take you to the hospital. (What a gem.)


Well, thank goodness he came with me, because not a soul in there spoke English. The only thing the doctor said to me was "Do you think you're pregnant?" hahahahahaha. What a laugh. 

James translated the entire check-up for me, and it turns out I was just severely dehydrated. The doc prescribed me some meds, including something for the sinus infection. Picked up the prescription on the 3rd floor of the building, very convenient set up they have here. And the pills come in packs like vitamins from GNC:
My Drugs

All in all, I have come to the conclusion that health insurance is not really necessary here. My doctor checkup was 10,000 WON (about $10) and the medicine was 5,300 WON (about $5). James said that I could get money back with health insurance, and I just laughed. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds strikingly similar to McKinley. The standard "are you preg?" and the cheap meds...that rules! Glad you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete